seeking humility and accepting charity...

When reading this post today, I had to stop for a moment. It sounded so familiar to me. Jennifer was writing about me. How many times do I say "no" to someone offering help? How do I justify it in my mind? How can I say "yes" more?

This is a subject I am very familiar with. You think I would know the answer by now with all we have been through in my family. However, I am a very determined woman who prides herself on being able to take care of my families needs. I can do it all, or at least this is what I have told myself for the last 20 years of marriage, homeschooling and parenthood. No one knows what my family needs better than I do. So thank you very much, bless your heart, you are too kind, but we will be just fine, no worries. As they say "Pride go beforeth the fall"and boy did I fall.

Six months ago my family was going through a major crisis and I could no longer "do it all". We needed help and fast. Oh, how humiliating it was to have to actually "beg" for help. I have a new sense of awe and respect for those, like Mother Theresa and her sisters who do this every single day. Once my husband and I completely surrendered to God's mercy and removed our selfish pride, God's love flowed and miracle upon miracle occurred. They are still occurring. All because we let go, and let God.

Ephesians 3:20-21 says "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."

God's generosity can NEVER be outdone. However the very first step we MUST take it to remove our pride and accept Christ's love through the people He sends us. Mother Theresa would say (I am paraphrasing here) " You must say yes to charity, so that others may grow in this virtue. If we don't say yes, how can others practice being charitable." Christ calls all of us to love each other as He loves us. He loves us without condition or pride. He loves us in our brokenness and in our joy. Sometimes he loves us through a neighbor or friend who brings over a jar of jam and a fresh loaf of bread. Sometimes he loves us through an anonymous donor who wishes to help with a financial burden.

Sometimes it's the offer of a babysitter or help around the house. Sometimes it's as simple as a smile or hug, which was needed more than you realized. Sometimes He loves us through this blogging world when someone reaches out and makes us ponder for a moment on how blessed our life is and how awesome our God is!

Charity cannot happen without humility. I wish I were a more learned woman who could quote the saints and scriptures with ease to better express how this all works together. Alas, all I have is my heart and it sings when someone humbles themselves and allows me to love them wherever they are, to help them with whatever they need help with, or to surprise them with some kindness. For then I truly feel like I am a servant of God. I have learned that I cannot deny this joy to others, so thank you very kindly, I would be so pleased and grateful for your help.

Blessings,
Mary

Labels: