Mary's Book Basket ~ Children's Books

I LOVE children's books! When I was homeschooling, one of my favorite things to do was to go to the children's section of the library and find new books to read to my children. I used to be the "Storybook Lady" at my local Barnes and Noble. That's a dangerous thing for a woman who loves colorful, sweet stories for kids. I have my favorites authors of course: Dr. Seuss, Laura Numeroff, Maurice Sendak, Margaret Wise Brown, Lauren Thompson, Syd Hoff and others.

Recently I had the privilege of spending time with my 2 year old niece and my almost 5 year old nephew. We had lots of couch time reading. I even did voices! The memories came flooding back of the hours spent reading to my own children. So I thought I would share some of my "new" favorites.

"Ten Little Fish" by Audrey and Bruce Wood is a colorful counting book. The pages are filled with bright illustrations and rhyming, playful verse. This was a HUGE hit with the 2 year old. We read it three times, giggling with each telling.

"Little Quack's New Friend" written by Lauren Thompson and illustrated by Derek Anderson is the latest installment in the adventures of Little Quack, a spunky yellow duckling, who always find mischief. In this story, he makes a new friend who is green and makes a funny "ribbety sound". It is a gentle lesson on making new friends. The illustrations are vivid and the text has almost a lyrical "silly song" quality. Another favorite of the pre-school set.

"Tea for Ruby" written by Sarah Ferguson, The Duchess of York and illustrated by Robin Freiss Glasser is a delightful tale following rambunctious Ruby as she prepares for tea with the queen. She learns about manners and proper behavior. The sweet surprise comes when we find out the identity of the "queen". The thank you note on the final page reminded me of all the notes I wrote to my grandma growing up.

Finally, we have "Toy Boat" written by Randall DeSeve and illustrated by Loren Long. I have given this book as a gift many times this past year. It is a story of a little boy who makes a little boat. He takes it with him everywhere, sleeps with it and sails it everyday. One day, he lets go of the string and the boat sails out into the lake and the adventure begins as the toy boat tries to get home. It reminds me so much of my son and all the little boats he used to make and sail in the bathtub.

I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy some of these with your own children.
Happy Reading,
Mary

Labels: