This recipe came together in less than 20 minutes. Keeping in mind that Thanksgiving is days away, it is a fabulous way to use sweet potato leftovers. The saltiness of the Parmesan added to the mushrooms and garlic is really fantastic with the natural sweetness of the potatoes. Another winner!
Sweet Potato Soup with Sauteed Mushrooms
from Dec/Jan 2009 issue of Hallmark Magazine
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
3 cups leftover mashed sweet potatoes
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound mushrooms, thickly sliced
1. Mince the scallions and keep the white and green portions separate.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the broth, scallion whites, 1 clove of the garlic and the curry powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the sweet potatoes and lemon zest, and stir until well combined. Stir in the Parmesan. For a smooth, cream-style soup, puree the mixture in a blender (or use an immersion blender). Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed (this will depend on how the mashed potatoes were seasoned to begin with).
4. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 3 cloves garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and stir to coat. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and cook until the mushrooms are softened, about 6 minutes.
5. Serve the soup in shallow bowls with some sautéed mushrooms on top. Garnish the mushrooms with some of the minced scallion greens.
Makes 6 servings
Labels: In the Kitchen