Miracle of the Lights...

This past Friday I worked as a substitute in Courtney's classroom. She worked hard painting with her fingers, walking in her gait trainer, using her switch to tell the teacher when to turn the page of the storybook. All of these things take a tremendous amount of physical and mental energy for a disabled child who is wheelchair bound, cortically blind and non-verbal.
By the end of the day, she was tired and quite frankly, so was I. Before ending for the day, we had some time to spend in the sensory room. This is one of my favorite places in the school. Here we position the kids on beanbags that vibrate, swings and comfy mats that allow them some freedom of movement. Once everyone is in their place, all the lights are turned off and the magic begins. Most of the children are cortically blind or have some difficulty with their sight. With all the lights turned of, we make it easier for them to concentrate on one light or two. Music plays soothingly in the background as the light show begins.
There is one in particular that always gets Courtney's attention. It is a Christmas ball, filled with all the colors of the rainbow. I sat next to her and watched her face as the colors came to life. She sat up in her chair and looked right at it. A smile spread across her face and she began to giggle. Tears began freely fall as I watched my precious daughter see the glory of light. I don't know if she can tell the different colors, but I really don't care. She can see the light in the midst of darkness. But then, I always knew that about her.
After a few minutes just staring and giggling at the light, she turned to me and put her hand in my lap. It was as if she was saying:

"Mama, do you see them ? Do you see the lights?"

It was so powerful and I thought in that moment to say to her:

"Yes, Courtney I see them. I see the light for Christ that shines from your heart each and every day."

She put her head on my shoulder and continued to look at the lights with a smile on her face.
I quietly wept in the dark room and praise my God for the miracle of that moment. I thanked Him for showing me once again how precious this special young lady is and no matter what happens or when, He is with us at every moment of every day.

Thank You Jesus for this life, for being the light within each of us. May it shine brightly for all to see. May it be a light for those who are discouraged and tired in their journey of caring for these special ones, bring them one step closer to you. May you be praised until the end of time.
Blessings,
Mary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Children's Choir sang this at Communion this morning and I was so moved. This is the only video I could find, a high school choir in Illinois. On this feast Of Christ the King, may He be the light that fills your heart and soul with love and understanding, mercy and grace. Remember that we are one body in Christ!


We Are One Body

We are one body, one body in Christ;
and we do not stand alone.
We are one body, one body in Christ;
and he came that we might have life.

When you eat my body and you drink my blood,
I will live in you and you will live in my love.
When you eat my body and you drink my blood,
I will live in you and you will live in my love.

Can you hear them crying, can you feel their pain?
Will you feed my hungry, will you help my lame?
See the unborn baby, the forgotten one,
they are not forsaken, they are not unloved.

I am the Way, the Truth, the Life, I am the Final Sacrifice,
I am the Way, the Truth, the Life;
he who believes in me will have eternal life.
I am the Way, the Truth, the Life, I am the Final Sacrifice,
I am the Way, the Truth, the Life;
he who believes in me will have eternal life.

I have come, your Savior, that you might have life,
through the tears and sorrow, through the toils and strife.
Listen when I call you, for I know your need,
come to me, your shepherd, for my flock I feed.

At the name of Jesus ev’ry knee shall bend;
Jesus is the Lord and he will come again.
At the name of Jesus ev’ry knee shall bend;
Jesus is the Lord and he will come again.

On the rock of Peter, see my Church I build.
Come receive my spirit, with my gifts be filled.
For you are my body, you’re my hands and feet.
Speak my word of life to ev’ryone you meet.

Text: Dana. Music: Dana; arranged by Gerry Brown. Text and music © 1992, Heartbeat Music/August Music

Labels: ,