Fabulous French Toast!


I love Saturdays. They are the slowest day of my week. Hubby and I can sleep in a bit if we want to and I get to make something other than oatmeal for breakfast! Yea! This is my favorite French Toast recipe. It is from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, one of my favorites. I have never disappointed in one single recipe from this book. I give it to all my new brides because it is fool proof.

I use whatever bread I have on hand. This morning it was a cinnamon raisin bread which just takes the flavor scale over the top. Loved it! So give it a try, you will be so happy you did!
Bon Appetite!
Mary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
French Toast
recipe from "The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook" pg. 276
8 slices high quality whit sandwich bread ( I use whatever I have on hand)
6 TBSP unsalted butter
1 cup milk
1 large egg
2 TBSP sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour ( I use whole wheat pastry flour as a substitute)

1.Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Arrange the bread on a wire rack set over a cookie sheet and bake until slightly dry, about 15 minutes. (I just leave them on the counter overnight and they "dry" just fine)

2. While the bread is in the oven, melt 2 TBSP of the butter and whisk it together with the milk, egg, sugar, vanilla cinnamon and salt in a med. bowl. Slowly whisk flour until mixture is smooth. Pour batter into a large shallow dish.

3. Transfer 2 pieces of the bread from the oven into the batter and soak both sides, about 30 seconds per side. Meanwhile melt 1 more TBSP of butter in a 12-inch non-stick skillet (I use our griddle) over medium heat until beginning to brown, swirling to coat the pan. Remove the bread from the batter, allowing the excess to drip back into the dish and lay in the hot skillet. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2 1/2 min. per side. Transfer the french Toast to the wire rack and keep in the oven. Repeat with remaining butter, bread and batter.

Labels: