CrockPot LOVE ~ Overnight Oatmeal



I have spent part of my week researching ways to cook steel cut oats in the crock pot. I needed to find a way to streamline breakfast preparation during the week while maintaining healthy eating habits. Oatmeal is wholesome, nutritious and inexpensive. It helps control cholesterol levels and the high fiber content helps control the appetite. This is crucial for losing weight or sustaining a healthy weight.


I am happy to report that I have found a recipe that works and everyone in my family loves it. The best part is the cooking takes place while I sleep! You just can't beat it! 

You can also adjust this recipe with the add-ins. The dried fruit plumps up and bursts in your mouth with so much flavor. It's a fabulous way to start the day. 

Get creative! In the picture above I have put in cinnamon, brown sugar, dried figs and cranberries. The figs make it very dark and rich but oh so good!

Bon Appetite!
Mary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Overnight Oatmeal
Recipe slightly adapted from Alton Brown

Ingredients:
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried figs
4 cups water
1/2 cup half-and-half


Directions:
In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.


Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning.

I have also used these combinations:
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup dried apples

OR

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried apricots

Labels: