2 for 1 chicken...


The Deen Brothers Creamy Chicken Alfredo Bake

Earlier this week I posted a fabulous roast chicken recipe. After enjoying the baked chicken that night, I took off the rest of the meat to make two other meals for the family. So for approximately $12 of ingredients I made three different meals. Not bad!

Each casserole I made with the leftover chicken has a very distinct flavor. The first one comes from a recipe by the Deen Brothers, Jamie and Bobby. Paula can be proud of her boys. The apple does not fall very far from the tree. I made their Creamy Chicken Alfredo Bake from the book The Deen Brothers: Take It Easy. I adjusted it to fit my requirements of double the veggies and half the meat and I have to say it was pretty tasty. The one adjustment I will make next time though is to use fresh Alfredo sauce and not the jarred stuff. The difference in taste is quite significant. This recipe was so fast...maybe ten minutes total in prep time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Creamy Chicken Alfredo Bake

Ingredients:
8 ounces (2 cups) penne pasta
One 10-ounce package frozen peas
4 cups shredded cooked chicken
One 15-ounce jar Alfredo sauce
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the penne for 7 to 9 minutes. When the penne is almost done (firm but no longer crunchy), add the peas and continue cooking for 1 minute more. reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water and drain the penne and peas.
3. In a large bowl, combine the penne, peas, chicken, Alfredo sauce, and the reserved pasta water. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with the Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browned at the edges.

The second recipe is a HUGE family favorite. I have been making this casserole for 17 years ever since it was brought me by a neighbor after I had Courtney. For my guys it's ALL about the Durkee Fried Onions. Again the preparation is simple and quick. I don't have any pictures because there is never any time between serving and eating this is such a popular family dish. Enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chicken w/Fried Onions Casserole

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
I small onion finely chopped
3 cups cooked rice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup mayonnaise, mixed with 1/4 cup water
French Fried Onions

Combine chicken, soup, rice, onion, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Add mayonnaise and water mixture. Put in greased casserole. Put french Fried onions on top. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.

Bon Appetite!
Mary

Labels: