change will come...no matter what


change
to make the form, nature, content, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone: to change one's name; to change one's opinion; to change the course of history.

"Growth is the only evidence of life."
~John Henry Newman, Apologia pro vita sua, 1864

The winds of change are a blowing in our house. As a new year begins change is inevitable. How we react to this change is the key to our future peace and happiness. When it involves your children and their choices, that reaction becomes even more important.
So when your son sits you down and tells you he wants to come home, change colleges and majors, it might be a good idea to breathe deeply and say a quiet prayer and then ask the why. It might be a good idea to listen, really listen to the why. Then it might be a good idea to assist him in coming up with a new plan. Then it might be a good idea to walk away for a bit and let it all sink in.
Yep, changes are coming whether I want them or not. I need to set aside my own expectations and disappointments to focus on being a positive encouragement to my family no matter which way the wind blows.
God sure didn't wait very long to test my resolution did he? I will trust and NOT fear. I will go to confession for the anger and impatience I expressed (as well as the few colorful metaphors that slipped out). I will chose to love, be hospitable and live intentionally for Him and with Him. I will try be patient and continue to take each day as it comes.

Change is hard.

Blessings and Grace,
Mary

PS. For another perspective on seeking peace and joy check out:
Returning Gifts From God @ (in)courage
or
Unburdened in the New Year @ Phases of Womanhood

Labels: