7 quick takes friday (vol. 21)...


1.

I have finally conquered Vegetarian Lasagna. Every time I have tried this before I have gotten a soggy, runny mess. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. Then I did a little research. It became clear to me pretty quickly what I had been doing wrong. I had been using fresh raw veggies like zucchini and mushrooms layering them into the lasagna. Well, zucchini is filled with water, so when it's baked there is a lot of run off. So how to solve the problem? Saute the zucchini, mushrooms before putting them into the lasagna.

Light bulb moment people!! So if your looking for a good veggie lasagna recipe, especially with Lent approaching, just take your favorite meat lasagna recipe and use zucchini, mushrooms, garlic and roasted red peppers in place of the meat layer. Saute the veggies in some olive oil. You can toss in a teaspoon of Italian Seasoning to boost the flavor.

FABULOUS!!

2.
The Olympics begin tonight. Two weeks of fabulous winter competition. I am an ice skating freakazoid with the Olympics. LOVE it! Can't wait to see what the best of the best come up with. I am concerned about the Russian ice dancers though. Their taste in costuming reveals a rather bazaar love of sequins and feathers and that's just the male ice dancers!

GO TEAM USA!!
*********


3.
I am absolutely loving Kelle Hampton's blog Enjoy the Small Things. She has opened her heart and spilled everything out in her writing about newest daughter, Nella Cordelia. Nella was born three weeks ago with Down's Syndrome. This was a surprise to everyone. Kelle has written with such honesty about her journey to love this child that God chose just for her. The photographs will melt your heart. The site is beautiful, haunting and will make you weep one moment and laugh the next. May God bless this courageous family and all of those who love these special kids.

4.
These Sweetheart Rose Cupcakes over @ Joy the Baker look divine. If your still pondering what to make for Valentine's Day this weekend, search no further.
Go forth and bake.

5.
I was finally released from snow prison yesterday. FREEEDDOOMM!!
My friend Caroline came to my rescue with her 4 wheel drive Suburban, whisking me away for an afternoon of lunch, book store hopping and grocery shopping. It was so much fun to simply run errands. I know, my brain has been affected by so much time indoors. Errands were actually FUN!!

What would we do without our girlfriends???

6.
I am a HUGE Nicholas Sparks fan and my guy knows it. I have read every single book. I should have bought stock in Kleenex years ago. Sparks is so good at pulling the emotional heart strings. So good! As a Valentine's treat, I get to go out on a date tonight to see this new movie. I have read the book, so I know how it ends. I am just thrilled that my guy agreed to see it with me. It will be wonderful!



7.
I cannot wait for this lovely little book to arrive:

Amy over @ Angry Chicken has a wonderful series of posts on the book. She also made this fabulous dress, using one of Wendy's patterns, modeled after an Anthropology dress she loved. It's awesome!! I love it. It inspires me to get upstairs and sew, sew, sew.

Head on over to Jennifer's blog to see what else is happening in the blogging universe.

Happy Weekend!

See you on Monday!!
Mary

**image found at The Sydney Morning Herald


Labels: