on to filling the freezer...



Now that January's Pantry challenge is complete it's time to start filling the freezer again with affordable make ahead meals to help with the meal planning for busy months ahead. Lent begins next week, so I am concentrating on simplifying my meal plan as well as stocking up on meatless meals.

Many years ago when I first moved to Northern Virginia, my friend Barbara introduced me to the idea of Once a Month Cooking and making a meal plan. She hosted a recipe swap to get things started. It was a revelation to me and my homemaking. I have used some of the recipes I received that night every month in my meal plan. I share one of our family favorites below.

In today's economy menu planning and bulk cooking are a homemakers best friend. Learning to watch for sales on meat and poultry, canned goods as well dry goods help each of us to stretch our dollars. This summer i will be planting another gardener for the third year in a row. I will also be canning for the first time. Anything i can do to stretch my families resources while feeding them healthy hearty food, I will do. It's my job and I want to do it well.

You can also check out Life As A Mom or I'm An Organizing Junkie for more menu planning inspiration.

Celebrate the Feast!
Mary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Black Bean & Corn Burritos

30 oz of canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 pound bag of frozen corn
8 oz can of mild green chilies, optional
1 1/2 pounds Cheddar/Monteray Jack cheese combo
19 burrito wrappers (I use whole wheat)

Combine beans, corn, chilies (optional), and cheese. Put 1/2 cup of filling in each burrito wrapper and roll up.

You can freeze for individual use (these make quick week day lunches) or place in a 9x13 pan, cover with jarred salsa, bake for 15-20 minutes and serve.

Labels: ,