quinoa...the other grain...


The center of my home is the kitchen. It's where you can check the pulse of family life. It's where days are examined and celebrated and where my new healthy revolution will begin.

I am a huge fan of rice. I love it with my Chinese food, my favorite Indian dishes, as a side dish and in casseroles. The lovely little fried rice balls stuffed with mozzarella are just divine! My glycemic index however is NOT a fan of rice! So I needed to find a grain (besides brown rice) that would fill in for regular white rice and pasta.

Hello Quinoa! Come to Momma!

One of the things that this new challenge is forcing me to do is step out of my foodie comfort zone and actually create my own recipes. I have made tested this recipe at least ten times now and each time it is light and lovely. It is filled with fresh veggies, fresh herbs and the balsamic dressing is a easy as opening a bottle. So if your looking for a healthy alternative to enhance your spring/summer table look no further. Mary's Balsamic Quinoa Salad is here.

Celebrate the Feast!
Mary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mary's Balsamic Quinoa Salad

1 cup uncooked Quinoa
2 cups chicken broth

2 tablespoons of chopped basil
1 red pepper finely, chopped
1/2 cup of kalamata olives, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/2 English cucumber, chopped
1 15 oz jar of marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
favorite low-fat balsamic dressing

1.
Rinse quinoa under cold water until water runs clear.
2.
in a 2 quart saucepan, bring quinoa and broth to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Drain quinoa and cool completely.
3.
in a large serving bowl toss quinoa and the remaining ingredients with your favorite low fat balsamic dressing.
Can be served cold or at room temperature.

Labels: