cookie extravaganza ~ day 4 ~ gingerbread trees w/lemon icing

the tastiest trees of the season!

Day 4 of our Cookie Extravaganza has arrived and the house is smelling like Christmas. Being the magazinaholic that I am, I do a little dance for joy every time a new one arrives in my mailbox. Imagine my glee when the new issue of Martha Stewart's FOOD arrived with an array of cookies pictured on the cover just taunting me with their sweet crunchiness. When I was planning this week I knew I would be using a recipe or two from this issue.

it's so easy to cut out the trees. don"t be intimidated by it.
Over the past two years or so my palette has changed a bit and I am enjoying new flavors that I wasn't so keen on before. Gingerbread is one of them. These cookies are crisp and light and have a lovely ginger note to them. The lemon icing on top really compliments the spices used in the cookies. It's really well balanced. I had so much fun making AND eating these cookies. I hope you do to!

Celebrate the Cookie!
Mary

day 1 ~ giada's lemon ricotta cookies
day 2 ~ paula's pecan shortbread squares
day 3 ~ double dark chocolate cherry cookies
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gingerbread Trees with Lemon Icing
adapted from Martha Stewart FOOD Magazine, Dec. 2010

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/3 cups confectioners sugar
sanding or coarse sugar (optional)

Directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and salt.  In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until creamy, 3 minutes.  Add egg and beat to combine.  Add molasses and beat to combine, scraping bowl as needed.  with mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture and beat until combined.  Wrap dough and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour (up to 3 days).

Preheat oven to 350, with racks in upper and lower thirds.  In a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to 3/4 inch thickness.  With a sharp knife or cookie cutter, cut dough into small 2 inch wide triangles.  Arrange triangles 1 inch apart on two parchment lined baking sheets.  Bake until cookies are firm and golden at edges, 10 to 12 minutes.  Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.  Store cookies in airtight containers up to 1 week.
Mary L. on Foodista

Labels: