mary's book basket ~ "second chance" by sandra j. garencher

I was honored when Tribute Books approached me to review the children's book Second Chance:How Adoption Saved A Boy with Autism and His Shelter Dog by Sandra J. Garencher. This is a touching story about an autistic boy named Ryan, his shelter dog Chance and the loving adoptive mother that brings them together.

This tale is told from the point of view of Chance, the adopted shelter dog. I thought that was a wonderful little twist by the author which allows her to really explore what adoption is and how wonderful it feels to be part of a family from the adoptee's point of view.

I chuckled a time or two over some of Chance's interactions with his "brothers and sisters" the three other dogs in the home. They were too funny.

When Ryan "speaks" to Chance and explains what adoption really means your heart just sings. It's beautifully written and I highly recommend it.

Happy Reading,
Mary

Labels: