sweet sundays: quick coffee cake

this scrumptious coffee cake comes together quickly
and is fabulous with a cup of coffee
I was in need of a quick little treat one morning which led me to dig up one of my go-to cookbooks America's Test Kitchen Baking Book. Flipping through I came to page 81 and stopped when I saw the words "great recipe for beginners". Now, I am not a beginner, but I needed something fast so I knew I could whip this up without hesitation. First step was to switch out the regular flour in the recipe with white whole wheat flour. Then I doubled the topping because I am all about sweet crunchy topping. 

The house smelled wonderful as the cakes baked with scents of cinnamon swirling in the air, tempting my nostrils and pushing me to watch the clock to see how much more time there was before we could dive in. The cake was moist and dense, and the crunchy topping? Oh my word it was beyond delightful. The pecans and brown sugar were the perfect marriage. I was so happy that the recipe made two! That meant I could have more after everyone left. 

So give this recipe a try. I'm telling you your gonna want seconds!

Happy Baking, 
Mary
********************************************************
I always double the topping so there is extra
crunchy goodness...yummm!
Quick Coffee Cake
adapted from America's Test Kitchen Baking Book

for the Topping:
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped coarse

for the Cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups sour cream
 1 cup packed light brown sugar'
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cool

1.  Adjust and oven rack tot he middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease two 9-inch cake pans.
2.  For the Topping:  Using your fingers, mix the sugars, flour, butter and cinnamon together in a medium bowl until mixture resembles wet sand.  Stir in the pecans and set aside.
3.  For the Cake:  Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a large bowl.  In a medium bowl, whisk the sour cream sugars, eggs and melted butter together until smooth.  Gently fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until smooth (do not overmix).
4.  Scrape the batter into the prepared pans smooth the tops.  Sprinkle the topping evenly over the top of both cakes.
5.  Bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a a few crumbs attached, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.  Let the cakes cool on a wire rack for a 15 minutes before serving.
Mary L. on Foodista

Labels: