mary's book basket ~ "a confident heart" by renee swope

See all those little blue tags...they mark every place I felt convicted, supported or moved
by what Renee was revealing to me. This has been a powerful read.

This book changed me. I have spent the last three weeks pouring over it's pages marking them, re-reading them and just sitting quietly to take the words on these pages all in. Renee Swope has been my personal counselor for the last 21 days with her wonderful uplifting self-help book "A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises". 

Self doubt is something I have struggled with my entire life. In my head is the constant battle of "You're not smart enough." "You're not pretty enough." "You're fat." "Do you really believe what you say you believe?" This is a daily, sometimes hourly occurrence and I have to say it gets old. It's exhausting.

When I was given the opportunity to read this book, I jumped at it, praying that something would break down the walls I have built inside my heart when it comes to self-confidence.

I wish I had the space to really explain how profound this read has been for me. There are just too many emotions swimming through me to file it down to one moment in time. Instead, I will leave you with a few gems. The following are excerpts from Renee's book:

*Every time you fail to be the woman God calls you to be, or the woman you expect yourself to be, let God remind you of the progress you've made. Even though you may not be quite who you want to be, you are not who you used to be! You get that much close to who you are meant to be every time you fail forward. 


*we are not meant to live independently, but in dependance on GOD. 


* Many times, we're more afraid of disappointing people than we are of disappointing God. We're afraid to trust God with our money, time, marriage, or kids, so we try to manage our own live.


*Sometimes staying is a step of faith


The one that broke me wide open though was this one from page 199:

* Oftentimes God will use our doubts to build our confidence by calling us to face our fears and do something we would never choose to do on our own. But when we depend on Him, we experience victory we never thought possible. 


This is my life in a nutshell. This is my life as Courtney's Mom. He keeps pushing and pushing because He knows I can do it. I think He's crazy, but then He is GOD who knows and see the entire plan. Not just my small little piece. Yet I still forget to lean on HIM. I still struggle with that independence instead of being dependent of the source of ALL my strength.

I highly recommend this wonderful book. I know that I will be going back through it again and I can't wait to share some of the wonderful treasures found in these pages with my sisters-in-Christ. So head out to your local book retailer and pick up a copy of Renee Swope's "A Confident heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises." It is now available from Revell Publishing, a division of Baker Publishing.

Happy Reading, 
Mary Lenaburg

Labels: