Epilogue 2 ~ Mama's Got the Last Word...

YES! Courtney has LOTS to say... and LOUDLY!
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary." Pope Benedict XVI

My daughter has taught me that everyone has a purpose, a vocation that is theirs and theirs alone. She has taught me that love means sacrifice and hope is what gets you through the darkest valley's of life. She has taught me that every day is a gift to be respected and lived fully.

There have been many more miracles surrounding our daughter in the years since her surgery. God has granted our prayers over and over and over again for more time with Courtney. She has made it through pneumonia twice and a lovely round of swine flu that included a few days in isolation as well as dealing with seizures every single day, some of which include her turning blue.

In 2007, our family faced medical bankruptcy and we were terrified that we would lose our home as well as be unable to continue to care for Courtney. It was a very scary time for us. But as you have read in these pages, God does not abandon those who seek his aid and assistance. With the help of dear friends whom we hold very close to our heart, Courtney's Campaign was born and in the span of three weeks enough money was raised that we paid off our debt and set up a medical trust for Courtney that paid ALL of her medical expenses for the next 3 1/2 YEARS!

This is when I started blogging. People wanted to know who Courtney was and how they could help. It was humiliating and humbling in the same breath. But God did not abandon us in our hour of need and to this day has provided for each and every emergency Miss Courtney has experienced since then.

I still struggle mightily with pride and self-importance. My father was so right when he said I would have a difficult time with that my entire life. But then my father was rarely wrong. I still feel him with me every single day. I know he has interceded for Courtney on many occasions. I once saw a quote  that reminded me of my Dad. It speaks to the lessons he taught me in life and in death.

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." Helen Keller

I don't know what the future holds for my girl. Heck I don't know what's going to happen in the next 24 hours. I do know that I no longer get angry at God. I wasted way too much time in that when she was younger. I do get frustrated with him though. Especially when he thinks I can do so much more than I think I can.

I know that Courtney will have ups and downs and that it is my job to be there for her through it all. Needless to say this story is not over. I think in some ways...her story is just beginning...and so is mine.

Thank you for honoring us with your time to read these words. I hope you'll stay with us in the coming weeks and months here in this space. I promise to continue to write about Miss Courtney and the lessons life teaches us both.

Blessings and grace my friends...Here's to continuing the great adventure called LIFE!

Copyright 2011 ~ Mary E. Lenaburg

Labels: ,