meatless friday - mighty grain salad...

This salad has it all...grains, greens and fab flavor!

This is one of the best salads I have ever had the pleasure to make or eat. 

Seriously...I am so not kidding you. 

This is one very healthy and spectacularly tasty meal but the big surprise was...my guys loved it! I was so excited since it has NO meat and it has bulgar wheat in it. The last time I made bulgar my husband likened it to what he used to feed the cows while growing up.  Not the most positive thing he has ever said about something I have made. This time around he lurved it very much. I think it was because there were so many other flavors and textures going on in the salad the bulgar took a back seat. 

SCORE!!

The recipe is so versatile you can mix it up every single time you make it and end up with a different flavor profile. I have made this recipe in a different variation about ten times since I came across it's magnificence in January on the Happyolks food blog which is a fabo blog you should check out if healthy eating is your passion. 

So get your chopping knife ready and make this tonight. It will be the best decision you've ever made. 

Celebrate the Feast!
Mary
(for more recipes...head over here...click)
*******************************************************
This weeks recipe is being shared with Friday Flair @ WhipperberryFood on Friday's @ Anne KroekerSimply Delish Saturday @ KB and Whitsnakes HomeCooking Thursday @ A Diary of a Stay at Home MomGCC Recipe swap @ The Grocery Cart Challenge, and Fusion Friday @ Jennifer CooksHead on over to their blogs and check out other fabulous recipes.
*******************************************************

check out the olives, chunks of veggies and dill...so good!
Mighty Grain Salad 
adapted very slightly from Laura @ The First Mess shared over @ Happyolks

2 cups cooked grain (I used bulgur)
2 cups finely diced vegetables (I used shallots, carrots and fennel)
2 cups beans or lentils (I used red lentils)
2-3 stalks of leafy greens, chopped fine (I used baby spinach and kale)
1 heaped handful of chopped fresh herb (I used dill)
1 handful of toasted nuts or seeds (I used walnuts)
1 handful of dried fruit (I used dried cranberries)
1 handful of crumbled soft cheese (I used sheep’s milk feta)
¼ cup oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
¼ cup acid (I used a mix of orange juice and apple cider vinegar)
salt and pepper to taste
 1/2 cup of kalamata olives, chopped
optional: 1-2 tsp ground spices (I used some ground coriander)

Combine the grain, vegetables, lentils, chopped herbs, leafy greens, nuts, dried fruit and cheese in a large bowl. Mix the oil, acid, spices, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour mixture over the grain and vegetable mixture and toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and serve.
Mary L. on Foodista

Labels: