mary's book basket ~ "wrecked" by jeff goins

 Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams into your Comfortable Life by Jeff Goins is one of those books you will read time and time again. This book was a thought provoking, life affirming read. It made me think deeply and pray with a servants heart more than I have in some time.

What is this life all about? What is YOUR purpose?

What mission is God calling you to do with the time He has allotted for you?

From the first chapter I was being challenged to think outside the box.

"The world is broken and remains that way, in spite of our effort to help it. This is beautiful, in a way, because it breaks us of our self-dependency. IN a world that refuses to be healed, we must face the fact that we are not the heroes of our stories. It teaches us to rely on something bigger than ourselves and teaches the source of true compassion." (page 34 "Wrecked" by Jeff Goins)

How's that for a little challenge.

It's not about ME.

It doesn't matter what I do or for whom I do it.

Grace flows from GOD through me. It's not ME...it's HIM. 

He has a job that is for me and me alone...so my time is NOW to live that mission out.

In a world that is all about personal independence and individual accomplishment it was totally refreshing to read about service to others. It was a delight to read about how God "wrecks" us only to draw us closer to Him thereby leading us to live HIS mission.

"The road to real meaning is dirty and full of jagged rocks. The path is full of pieces of broken glass and cigarette butts. It's long and difficult and not what we would expect. It's not what we would prefer, but it's the only way. Jesus called it the "narrow road". (page 39, "Wrecked" by Jeff Goins).

Ahh that darn narrow road leading to the narrow gate leading to leaving everything we know and are comfortable with behind so we can follow HIS lead and LOVE as He calls us to.

I have followed Jeff's blog for a few years now and have enjoyed watching how God has pulled him out of his comfort zone to really learn to love by serving others. He is an encourager and truth seeker who lives outside the box allowing God to direct his path.

It is an amazing act of faith to step outside that box. Every time I have done it, God has wrecked me and changed how I see His world.

I am not called to travel a continent away and serve there. At least not at this point in my life.

Right now I am called to serve here in my home.

I am called everyday to resist the sadness that tugs at my heart and love my daughter through every seizure and doctor's visit and blood test. 

I am called to find the joy within the four walls of my home while keeping my eyes on Christ who knows the plan for my girl.

Watching someone you love suffer is an agonizing thing. It breaks my heart to watch my daughter fight for her very breath on a daily basis. To now become a caregiver instead of a Mama who helps her chickadee fly from the nest is not where I thought I would be at this point in my life.

 It's nowhere close.

Miss Courtney will leave this nest when God calls her to her eternal home. That breaks my heart.

BUT this is where/what I am being called to do and how I am called to serve so I do it with compassion in my heart.

It is where Christ is present to me every single day.

It is where I seek JOY in this present moment and celebrate each and every victory in my day no matter how small it may seem.

If you are serving and it doesn't hurt your heart a little bit than you need to dig deeper.

Life breaks your heart so there's more room for God's love, mercy and grace to settle in the cracks.

I am "wrecked" on a daily basis. God turns my world upside down all the time. It doesn't stay that way for long though. Through His mercy and Grace I find my feet gain and I take another step toward Him.

My purpose - to love, to serve, to encourage others as they do the same and to surrender my will each day knowing that He will redeem it ALL in the end.

I HIGHLY recommend this book if your wondering what this life is all about. It changed my thinking on what "purpose" and "mission" mean for me. You can find it at Amazon (it is back in stock so pay no attention to the "out of stock" that pops up) Barnes and Noble and Christianbook.com.

You will be "Wrecked"...you will be changed...you will be better for it!


This book receives 
5 CUPCAKES = I feel like celebrating for the joyously awesome fabulously wonderful read and it will remain on my keeper shelf





Labels: ,