day 12 ~ christmas sandies...


One of my favorite Christmas ornaments that we have hanging on our tree is a giant sparkly "disco ball". I love this ornament. It's shiny and reflects the light. Every time I see it, I smile. When I first came across this recipe I laughed because they reminded me of my "disco ball" ornament.


See what I mean? It's a happy ornament don't you think? 

Anyway, I knew These happy little cookies remind me of a shortbread cookie with a hint of lemon. The added dried cranberries provide a little chewy surprise. The two flavors compliment each other nicely.


If your looking for more baking inspiration head over to my Recipe Catalog. I have moved the holiday treats to the top of the page. 

Let's bake shall we! 
Mary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Christmas Sandies
recipe from Better Homes and Gardens

Bake 350°F 10 mins to 15 mins

ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup finely chopped dried cranberries**
2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
White, red, and green nonpareils 
(or rainbow which I used)

directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar. Beat until combined, scraping bowl. Beat in vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in cranberries, lemon peel, and any remaining flour (use your hands to work in flour, if mixture seems crumbly).

2. Shape mixture into 1/2-, 3/4-,or 1-inch balls. Roll dough balls in nonpareils. Arrange balls 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes for about 1/2-inch balls, 13 minutes for 3/4-inch balls, or 15 minutes for 1-inch balls, or until bottoms of cookies are light brown. Transfer to wire racks and let cool.

**Place dried cranberries in a food processor. Cover and process until finely chopped. Or finely chop cranberries by hand.

Labels: