day 16 ~ poinsettia cookies...

These cookies took a little time to make but I think the end result was worth the effort. The original recipe called for the center to be a piece of candied fruit but I changed it our for a holiday M&M. 

Chocolate always makes things better. 

I used my plastic quilting ruler to cut my squares. It's washable and see through so the cutting went fairly quickly.




I love sprinkles. In an instant they make whatever I am baking pretty. My husbands office mates loved these little gems. The flavor reminds me of my favorite tea cookies. I had to send them to the office so I wouldn't gain 50 pounds in a week!

If your looking for more baking inspiration head over to my Recipe Catalog. I have moved the holiday treats to the top of the page. 

Let's bake shall we! 
Mary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Poinsettia Cookies
recipe from Taste of Home


Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Red colored sugar
Red and green M&M candies

Directions:
In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light
and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour and salt;
gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half;
wrap in plastic wrap. Chill overnight or until firm.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough into a
12-in. x 10-in. rectangle, about 1/8-in. thick. Cut into 2-in.
squares. In each square, make 1-in. slits in each corner. Bring
every other corner up into center to form a pinwheel; press lightly.
Sprinkle cookies with red sugar and press a M&M piece
into the center of each.
Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for
8-10 minutes. Cool 1-2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield:
about 4 dozen.

Labels: