day 25 ~ grandma stuecken's anise cookies...


In my family there are two cookies that are made every single year and they have been since my mother was a small child. One is my Grandmother Stuecken's Speculatius Cookies and the other is this recipe for Anise Cookies. It would not be Christmas without them. That's how traditional they are.

When I was a little girl, I was not a huge fan of these cookies since I didn't like licorice. But they have grown on me over the years and are really very light in flavor as far as the anise goes. Now I look forward to making them every year. They look like little magic mushrooms and are only 25 calories a cookie.

I know...right! You gotta love that.


If your looking for more baking inspiration head over to my Recipe Catalog. I have moved the holiday treats to the top of the page. 

Let's bake shall we! 
Mary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandma Stuecken's Anise Cookies
recipe from my Grandmother Stuecken's archives

Ingredient's:
3 eggs
1 cup sugar (fine)
1 1/2 - 2 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp anise seed

Directions:
Beat eggs until very light.  

Add sugar slowly, beating well.  

Continue beating for 20 minutes with an electric mixture on slow speed, stirring down the bowl with a scraper at least three times in the process. This is a VERY important step. Beat is for the FULL 20 minutes.

Sift flour with baking powder and add ainse seed.  

Add to egg mixture.  

Beat at low speed for 5 minutes.  

Drop about an inch apart from a teaspoon onto well greased and lightly floured cookie sheets.  

Let stand overnight to dry out.  

Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) for 10 minutes or until a light cold in color.  

Remove from sheets at once and cool.

Keep in a tightly closed tin box.  

Labels: