meatless friday ~ creamy tomato basil soup...


So I decided to resurrect Meatless Friday her at PP. It is Lent after all and I don't know about you but Tuna Casserole, Fish Sticks and Macaroni and Cheese can get a little old. That's what we had every single Friday growing up. My hubby is not a huge fish fan and I am tying to eat less carbs these days so  I began searching for some new meatless fair. 

Since it is cold and freezing rain on this lovely Friday, soup seemed appropriate. I love the creamy tomato soup served at Panera, but it serious caloric nightmare. So when I came across this creamy little number in an old Cooking Light magazine, I knew I had to try it. 

Well my friends, pull up a chair and grab a spoon. This one is a keeper. Creamy and quite filling it will be making may more appearances at our meatless table. So very good. 

Celebrate the Feast!
Mary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light Magazine, 2011

Ingredients:
1 Tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1 (28 oz) can fire-roasted, diced tomatoes, undrained
4 oz cream cheese, cut into cubes
2 cups low fat milk
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp salt

Directions:
1.  Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add olive oil, add onion, sauté 3 minutes.  Stir in garlic; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Add basil and tomatoes, bring to a boil.  Add cream cheese, stir until cream cheese melts.

2.  Place tomato mixture in blender.  Blend until smooth.  Return to pan, stir in milk, pepper and salt.  Return to medium-high heat; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Labels: