mary's book basket ~ "small town girl" by ann h. gabhart...


Another great read from the world of inspirational romance. "Small Town Girl" by Ann H. Gabhart follows the story of Kate Merritt, deep thinker and cautious middle sister and the one who will eventually hold her heart drifter Jay Tanner. It's 1941 and the Pearl Harbor is months away. The small town of Rosey Corner has survived the depression and is preparing for the possibility of war once again.


From the Back Cover:
How long can two people stand on the brink of love without plunging in headfirst?

In the autumn of 1941, rumors of war whisper through Rosey Corner. The town practically vibrates with apprehension, as if it is holding its breath. But for Kate Merritt, it seems life is letting out a prolonged sigh. As Kate watches her sister marry the man Kate has loved since she was fifteen, her heart is silently breaking. And even the attentions of Jay Tanner, the handsome best man, can't draw her interest.


Then suddenly, Pearl Harbor changes everything and Kate finds herself drawn to Jay in surprising ways. Could she truly be in love with him? And if he enlists, will she ever see him again?



Here is what sealed the deal for me. In Chap. 3 (page 34 to be exact) Jay and Kate are talking after having just met at her sisters wedding reception. They are talking about their dreams and hope for the future and flirting just a bit as they do it. Jay says "...sometimes if a man finds the rhythm that speaks to his heart and if he can find the right dance steps, if he can find a way to pull hope out of thin air and not let doubt steal his dream or cause him to whittle it down too small, maybe he can grab hold of that dream and hang on for dear life, That kind of dream can make the sunrise brighter every morning."

Yep, I fell in love with him right then and there and prayed, wished, hoped Kate would too. Boy did she make me wait for the payoff though. I will admit, that I surely enjoyed the journey of these two love birds. Theirs is a story of overcoming their inner doubts based on their individual family histories. The books themes of forgiveness, redemption, hope and faith are beautifully intertwined and the secondary characters are all part of the stunning puzzle.

I LOVED this book. I loves the characters in this book. I loved the plot and pacing of this book. I read this book in twelve hours. Of course I didn't start reading until after lunch one day last week. Thank goodness Jerry took over dinner duty with Courtney, or it might have been ugly. It was tough getting up the next day as well but so worth it to be pulled into such a lovely story. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.



This book receives:
5 CUPCAKES = I feel like celebrating for the joyously awesome fabulously wonderful read and it will remain on my keeper shelf


I was given a free copy of this novel in exchange for my review. My opinions are my own. This book is made available June 2013 by Revell Publishing and can be purchased at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Christianbook.

Labels: