pretty, happy, funny, real...some days a little crumble goes a long way...

{pretty, happy, funny, real}


I have been out of town for a memorial service over the last 48 hours. I cam home to my husband vomiting with a 102 degree fever, Miss Courtney having several seizures as well as hives on her face and arms due to a new detergent that I will no longer be using and the kitchen sink was filled with dirty dishes. I am waiting for the frogs and locusts which should be arriving at any moment. 

So what does a Mama do when faced with such stress??? Well, I put my hubby to bed with some ginger ale, scrubbed down the bathroom with lemon scented Clorox, started re-doing Miss Courtney's laundry with the non-allergin detergent, hold and cuddle my girl while reading her favorite story, then settle her in her favorite chair while I bake of course. 

I offer you these lovely Raspberry Crumble Bars which uses granola in the crumble recipe. Quite delish, let me tell you. Absolutely divine. I know they must have healing properties because I already feel much better about life and I have only had one. 

So if you think about it, please say a little payer for Jerry to get over what he has and for the rest of us to remain well, especially Mis Courtney. That could prove to be quite challenging and I really am kind of over challenging these days. SO thank you in advance for your kindness. 

Bon Appetite!!
Mary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Raspberry Crumble Bars
recipe from Barefoot Contessa's Foolproof Cookbook

Ingredients:
½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature 
¾ cup sugar 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour 
½ teaspoon kosher salt 
12 ounces good raspberry jam
2/3 cup good granola without dried fruit 
1/4 cup sliced almonds 
Confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Directions:
Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on medium speed just until combined. With the mixer on low, add the vanilla. 

Sift the flour and salt together and, with the mixer on low, slowly add to the butter mixture, mixing until it almost comes together in a ball. Turn the dough out on a board. Lightly pat two-thirds of the dough evenly on the bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan and about ¼ inch up the sides. Spread with the jam, leaving a ¼-inch border. Mix the granola into the remaining dough with your hands. Break the dough into small bits, and distribute it on top of the jam, covering most of the surface. Sprinkle the almonds on top. Bake the bars for 45 minutes, until lightly browned. 

Cool completely and cut into 9 or 12 bars. Sprinkle lightly with confectioners’ sugar. 


~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~

Labels: ,