the passage of time...

Tomorrow is a big day in our house. #1 son celebrates a birthday and with that this Mama needs a moment to look back on how this awesome young man has impacted our world.

Jonathan's very first father/son photo...Daddy looked so calm...LOL!

He arrived after 36 hours of intense labor during the first snow of the season in November in Brunswick, Maine. It was Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. He was two weeks early according to the pregnancy calendar but I was more than ready to have the birthing part over with. I just wanted to be a Mama and hold my little guy in my arms.

December 1989...

In a matter of hours I was completely overwhelmed. I was alone with ALL my family at least four states away and unable to come and help. The whole nursing thing was so not happening. Jonathan was colicky from the start and very demanding in every way. He was ALWAYS hungry. I was 22 years old, and just figuring out that having a baby was way different from babysitting. Way different. 

Greeting his baby sister Courtney Elizabeth circa 1992...

Jonathan Douglas was his own man from the very beginning. He was and remains incredibly strong willed. He used do things the way he saw fit and there wasn't much room for negotiation. Thankfully even though that will is still present he is much more open to direction and instructional criticism these days. Growing up has had it's up and downs, but the young man that stands before me now, I could not be more proud of. 

This photo always makes me augh. The look on J's face while Miss Court is
screaming her head off...too funny. He was so not into this whole sibling thing!

The thing about my boy you need to know is that fist and foremost he is loyal. If you are counted among his family or friends, you know that he always has your back. He also has a very BIG heart. He is like a teddy bear inside a middle linebackers body. He is funny and faith-filled and he is wholly devoted to his little sister. It has been a true joy to watch him come into his own as far as his care and nurturing of Courtney.

He has always read to her...from the moment he could read a word, she was next to him listening...

Being the only sibling of a special needs person brings with it it's own kind of challenges. Due to choices Jerry and I made years ago, he bears this beautiful burden alone and there are moments when I know that weighs heavy on his heart. It weighs just as heavy of his Mama's heart as well. I thank God everyday that he has the grace of faith and an incredibly supportive extended family to be there for him if we are not able. 

always holding his sister up...always...

To watch Jonathan with his sister is to watch love in action. He treats her like a "typical" little sister chiding her when she won't eat her peas or giving her a hard time when she curl her toes and refuses to allow him to put on her shoes. She laughs, he rolls his eyes. He reads to her every single day. I am not kidding. He has the best voices and she loves all of them. 

always laughing together...Mother's day 2013...

I have been blessed with two very unique children and I could not feel more blessed, or stressed or stretched or challenges or some days, just plain crazy! No matter though, they are mine for such a short time...I had best enjoy it.

SO happy almost birthday son. Tomorrow will be a good day, a very good day. I just know it. Until then...

Labels: ,