cape cod ~ how do I love thee...


Recently Jerry and I had the privilege and honor to attend the wedding of one of my best friends children. When I first received the invite, I was somewhat disappointed that it was in Massachusetts, figuring that my husband would not be in favor of going. He is not a big road trip guy.

We both have taken new jobs in the past year so neither one of us has a lot of vacation days but we could make a quick weekend trip. I presented Jerry with that idea when I showed him the invitation. To my surprise he told me that it was a great idea. He reminded me that we had promised ourselves after Courtney died that we would take advantage of getting away and spending time together. We had yet to make an overnight trip since her death, so I got to planning.

Cape Cod here we come!!


When Jerry and I were first married, we were stationed at NAS Brunswick in Maine. We had our children while stationed there. During those three years I fell in love with New England living. Cool summers and cold winters with tons of snow. Just what I love. Jerry on the other hand, was not so happy. He would live in the deep south if I was on board. Alas...no. This lady does not enjoy heat and humidity.

This was our first time back to New England since leaving in 1992. Cape Cod did not disappoint. The water, the seafood, the water, the time all alone with my guy, the water and of course the fabulous wedding of B and J.

I even bought a new floppy hat for the occasion. The weather could not have been more perfect. We stopped in Hyannis Port and hobnobbed with elite or at least we walked along the same shore line. 


Being the foodies we are, Jerry and I scouted out the local restaurants and man were they awesome. Have you ever had a fried whole belly clam fresh from that days catch? Oh sweet heaven...there are no words my friends...no words. They were a revelation to this clam shy patron. The margarita's were strong and cold, the Pasta Diablo was spicy and chock full of seafood wonderment. 

We enjoyed Baxter's Seafood and Spanky's Clam Shack. Jerry got a hug chuckle out of the signage. He turned into a twelve-year-old boy giggling and begging me to take a photo. 


I am one to oblige my husband when he is being all cute and immature. 

We walked. We talked for hours on end. We held hands and snuggled on beach benches. We giggled over the fact that we had a king size bed in the hotel but we sleep on a double at home. I felt like we were chasing each other every evening since we like to snuggle while going to sleep. Yes, we are spooners. We decided that a king sized bed would never grace our home. Way too much real estate for us. 

I realized that this was the first time on 24 years that Jerry and I had been away together, alone, in a hotel without children. It was a long overdue trip. 

Long.overdue. 

I think my face might have actually cracked I smiled so much in those four days. 


To cap off our trip, we were privileged to attend the wedding of my BFF's eldest son. I have known this fine young man since he was six years old. He has grown into a handsome, intelligent faith-filled marine who with his fiancĂ© went through a lot to make it to this fantastical day. 


Is there anything more wonderful than the pageantry of a military wedding? The looks on their faces just make my heart skip. So much love. So much hope. So much joy. The Mass was filled with so many meaningful touches, the readings perfectly chosen and the bride and groom surrounded with both families and so many friends sharing their joy all enveloped in the Eucharistic Celebration. 

As it should be. 

My BFF Maria has been such a steady and strong influence in my life. I have had the privilege of her friendship for twenty years now and boy have we been through some stuff together. She is strong, brave, and a fierce faithfilled defender of life. She is one of four women in my life that if I called at 2 a.m. in crisis, she would get in her car and be there. She is that kind of friend. God is so very good to me. So very good. 

The fact that our husbands get along so well, is a bonus. Look at these two handsome gents. 


Maria and I don't look too bad either. Sparkles are us baby. Spanx are my friend. 

The reception was a blast and we danced our hearts out. The next day was a bit rough with a 4:30 a.m. wake up call to make it home for the 5 p.m. Mass. I was sad to leave but so very grateful for the time alone with Jerry and with our dear friends. 



Until next time Cape Cod. 

Sail on...

Labels: , , , , ,