Why I March?

Today I will be on the National Mall to participate in the March for Life, a cause I hold very dear to my heart. Over the years I have been asked by many why? Why do I march? Why would I waste my time? No one is listening. What good does it do? Congress will just do whatever they want anyway. How could I , as a woman, believe that the government has any right to tell me what I can and cannot do with my body? What right do I have to impose my beliefs on someone else?

I live in the most wonderful country in the world. This week we witnessed history as the first African-American President was sworn into office, peacefully. There are no barriers here to anyone who wishes to work hard and succeed, no matter their race or gender. I have the right as a citizen of this great nation, to disagree with my president and know that I will not be thrown into prison for that dissent. Many have died to give me this right. I will not disrespect their sacrifice by not fully participating in the political process. I have a right to peacefully protest. In how many countries is this the reality today? 

Why do I march? I am called as a Christian to take care of those who cannot care for themselves. "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."Mathew 25:40. Who speaks for the child that is being murdered by an abortion? Who speaks for the elderly and disabled whose right to live with dignity and love is being slowly and meticulously taken away?

I do! You do! We are called as a "universal" church to stand up to the injustice of it all. What right do I have to "impose" my views on someone else? Who is recognizing the right of the baby being aborted or the disabled person being starved to death? I am called to stand up for them.

I believe Fr. Corapi says it best:
"The front line and primary battle is going to be the fight for life: the dignity of every human life from the moment of conception to the last moment of natural life. If we lose that one, every other battle space will be compromised. If the government succeeds in establishing abortion as an inalienable “right”, then the elderly and sick will be next. It will then be a short and slippery step to the government deciding who lives and dies regardless of their inherent human dignity."

You see, my Courtney is one of the "sick" Father talks about. She is my hero. She has a right to live a full and complete life, from conception until a natural death. If we cannot defend the voices that are silenced in the womb, how can we expect to protect the ones who are already here? I will NOT be silent! My conscience will not allow it. 

I march because there is a silent genocide that has killed 50 million babies in the last 36 years. There are now states that have approved euthanasia and assisted suicide as a"right". No one has the right to decide these things but Our Lord, who gave us the right to live to begin with ."For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well." Psalm 139:13-14

So today I march. I will push the wheelchair of my disabled child from the Ellipse to the Supreme Court giving witness the dignity for her life and so many other who are unable to defend themselves. These are the least of my brothers.  I will, along with thousands of others, offer prayers along the way, mourning those souls lost in this great battle. I will march so that future generations may not have to. 

Please pray for the defeat of F.O.C.A. and the safety of all of us marching. 
Blessings, 
Mary

Labels: ,