cookie extravaganza ~ day 6 ~ kelly's peppermint delights

two of my favorite wintertime flavors meet - chocolate and peppermint!
It's back to the cookie extravaganza! Wahoo!! Day 6 is upon us and we have a cookie that represents two of my favorite flavors of winter meet and melt together - chocolate and peppermint! My friend Kelly who is a teacher at Court's school brought me these last week. She had made a batch with her beautiful daughter and let me tell you they were fantastic! I asked for the recipe and headed into the kitchen to begin tinkering. 

The original comes from Pampered Chef and I thought it was a little too sweet. So I used a darker bittersweet chocolate from Ghiradelli for both the cookies and the ganache on top. That seemed to do the trick and created a lovely balance between the sweet peppermint patty center and the brownie like sandwich cookie. As is my tradition when I get a recipe from someone I rename it in their honor, so Miss Kelly here it is...this cookie is Christmas in one bite!!

Celebrate the Cookie!
Mary

day one ~ giada's lemon ricotta cookies
day two ~ paula's pecan shortbread bars
day three ~ dark chocolate cookies w/ dried cherries
day four ~ gingerbread trees w/ lemon icing
day five ~ chock full of nuts cookies
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the peppermint patty center is rockin good!
Kelly's Peppermint Delights
recipe adapted from the Pampered Chef

Ingredients:
3/4 C bittersweet morsels
1/4 C butter
1/2 C sugar
1 egg
3/4 C flour
2 candy canes (I used a bunch of little ones)
1/4 C bittersweet morsels
10-12 dark chocolate peppermint patties, unwrapped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. Combine morsels and butter. Micro on high 40-60 seconds, stirring every 20 sec (although I forgot to do this). Add sugar and egg, mix well. Add flour, mix til incorporated. Using your SMALL SCOOP, drop 20 scoops, 1" apart on cookie sheet. Bake 9-11 min. Meanwhile, crush candy canes, melt white/semi morsels in micro. As soon as you pull cookies out of oven, turn half over. Top with peppermint patties and remaining cookies to form 10 sandwiches. After a few minutes go ahead and gently press down the cookies so the chocolate adheres to both sides of the cookies. Drizzle choc over cookies and immediately sprinkle with crushed candies. Transfer to platter.
Mary L. on Foodista

Labels: