apparently size does matter...


*http://blogs.essence.com/theblackberrybride/weight-loss-program.jpg

It has been a challenging month here in the land of Nod. Courtney's current health challenges consume a lot of my physical time and mental energy. Hubby's new schedule is not really helping me but I knew that was going to be the case. J is busy with classes doing what he is supposed to be doing. So at the end of the day it's me and my girl. For the first few weeks we did OK.

Then I was handed another challenge. This time with my own health. Not to worry, it is not doom and gloom news but more like get off your large Irish/German backside and take your life back news. I am not a small woman. I have battled my weight for the last 20 years. I have talked about that battle before here in cyberspace. My love for good food is well documented here as well. My love for exercise however is somewhat non-existent. OK, let's be honest...I absolutely hate it!

So what's a girl to do when the doc sits her down and says "Sistafriend, things have got to change!" I would like to say that I made a plan and got to work. Instead I made a batch of oatmeal cookies for my honey's office. That's what I do when stress comes my way...I bake. You can only imagine how many dozens of cookies have been baked, how many pies, tarts and cakes. There has been a LOT of stress in my life over the past 17 years!

Well my friends, that will not solve this problem. There was a time in youth that I loved competetive sports. I danced for thirteen years and used to obsess about arabesques. I need to dig down deep and rediscover that drive and passion. Only hours of sweat and an elevated heart rate will accomplish what needs to happen along with good clean eating.

Speaking of eating...apparently size does matter. Portion size that is! I have spent the last ten days weighing my food to learn what proper portion size really is. Now, I am not a stupid woman. I have spent a lifetime learning different cooking and baking techniques and loving food. However, there are times when you need to get back to the basics. Back to simplicity. Back to what really matters. For me that means that I have to put myself on the "to-do" list of life. I realize that I am the core of this family and if the core is a jelly filled donut...it's gonna get real ugly when the WEIGHT of life smacks that donut to the ground! Just think of the clean-up! YIKES!

So let the reality check begin! I can actually say that I am looking forward to this Extreme Life Makeover. It will not be easy and I am sure you will hear all about every sweaty painful moment. My Dad used to say that I was at my best when I leaped and then figured out how I was going to land. He used to tell me to trust that inner voice because it was God's way of telling me to shape up and figure it out.

Well that voice is screaming right now. It's telling me to leap and figure it out. As with all things in my life...Baby, it's gonna be a hell of a ride!

So here is to health and happiness and a good hard workout!

Blessings and Grace,
Mary

Labels: